Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

I love December. It is by far my favorite month. There are so many awesomely amazing aspects of this remarkable month, such as:

1. Cold weather, which means boots and scarves are an everyday necessity. I absolutely love both. It also means getting to snuggle by the fire (one of my favorite pastimes).

2. No shave November is over.

3. Christmas is only days away

4. Not so much now, but in highschool December brought the option of reindeer stacking to our list of possibilities on Friday nights.

5. Excessive shopping isn’t deemed socially unacceptable. It’s a requirement.

6. Christmas lights! One of my top three favorite things about the holiday season.

7. Christmas parties (especially tacky sweater ones)! This is somewhat of a double-edged sword for me, however, because I feel obligated to bring some sort of dish usually. We all know how well I get along with the kitchen, so the thrill of Christmas parties also comes with the anxiety of coming up with something to bring.

8. Football Bowl games. Go Hogs.

9. Cough cough My birthday cough cough. However, I’ve become increasingly more aware that birthdays mean you are actually getting older and I just don’t know how I feel about that. I do know how I feel about presents, though, so if you want my wish list just let me know :)

10. Getting to see my family. They live 11 hours away so Christmas is usually the only time we get to make it up there. I LOVE getting to see everyone. I also love getting to pretend I’m outdoorsy when we go to my grandparents’ land on Christmas day to shoot guns and ride tractors and four-wheelers.

11. The possibility of snow. Enough said.

12. Reeses Christmas Trees. Also enough said.

13. New Years Eve is also included in this month, which is a close second to Christmas as my favorite holiday. There is so much hope and optimism that comes with the new year. So fun.

14. I feel like there seem to be more ways to help and volunteer during this time. From the Angel Tree to the food bank, there are so many ways to get involved and help people who are in need. We are blessed more than we know, so it is our obligation to help the less fortunate.

15. Last but certainly not least, we get to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. Such a blessing. So thankful.


This is just such a magical time of year. Everything seems more exciting. I don't know if it is all the parties and getting to see everybody, or if it is understanding of the true meaning behind Christmas, but everything just seems to be more thrilling. I abolutely love this time of year. Happy holidays!

1 comment: