So you know when you have to do those icebreaker games and you have options to tell either your biggest accomplishment or your most embarrassing moment or something like that? Well I always skip the most embarrassing moment because (not to say I've never done anything embarrassing before because we ALL know that's not true)I just can't recall one specific embarrassing story.
Until now...
Soooo I went to the alterations place to get my very last bridesmaids dress of the year hemmed. They close at 6 so I rushed home after work, grabbed my dress, and rushed back out the door. I peeled into the parking lost around 5:45. I ran in thinking that they would be closing down for the day, only to find a line of people waiting to get various articles of clothing pinned to be altered. Thinking that surely they won't turn me away, I took my place in line. There happened to be a dressing room open, so my alterations lady (Fearnie) told me to go ahead and put the dress on. I smiled and thanked her for staying a few minutes late to get me taken care of, and walked in the dressing room to change.
(Timeout. I would like to address the fact that I have done intense workout videos all week, along with cardio. I'm sore to say the least. My normally agile body (hahahahahahahahaha)has not been at it's peak. Like, all day yesterday I wheeled myself to the copier in my chair so that I wouldn't have to stand up. That sore. Time in.)
So I'm in the dressing room changing into my dress. I make it out of my shirt and bra (the dress is strapless and heaven forbid anybody see my bra straps) and finally out of my shorts. Next step, the dress. I unzipped it and took it off the hanger. I bent down to step into it (which was a challenge in and of itself) and put one foot in.
You may think "If she got one foot in, how hard could it be to get the other foot in?" which would be a valid point. But, when I went to put my right foot in, everything happened in slow motion. I felt my body start to fall backwards. I knew I was going down, but given the state my legs were in I knew there was nothing I could do. My next thought was "what can I do to make this at least a little less embarrassing?" So I decided to pull the dress up as far as I could before I went tumbling out of the dressing room (Reminder: I don't have a bra on).
The dressing rooms only have curtains separating them, so I came flying out of that dressing room. I managed to pull my dress almost all the way up. There was only minimal flashing (which any amount of flashing is socially unacceptable apparently). There weren't THAT many people still left in the store at that point, but a few people definitely saw me.
So I'm on the floor in a completely unzipped dress, trying to cover as much of myself as I could. I mean, what do you do at this point? Of course my face turned bright red. But I didn't know whether to laugh, cry, or pretend it didn't happen. Clearly it happened, so that wasn't an option. I wasn't wearing waterproof mascara so I figured crying wasn't really an option either. So there was only one thing left to do. I laughed. Hard. I laughed until my stomach hurt. It was one of those laughs where it turned into a silent laugh. Once I caught my breath, I stood up and asked one of the ladies waiting to pay to zip me. Once people saw me laughing, I think they figured I was okay and that they could laugh too. So I stood on the little podium thing while Fearnie pinned my dress and tried to control my giggles.
Fearnie was in the back (thank goodness) at the time of the incident, so she didn't see it all go down (literally). I may not have been able to show my face there again if she had seen me, although I'm still not convinced I can anyway.
So, in conclusion (I used to love writing that phrase in college because it meant I was giving up on whatever paper I was writing), I'm proud to say that I can laugh at myself even in the most embarrassing of times. I'm also proud to say that I have a "most embarrassing moment" now if I ever need to whip one out.
Happy Thursday!
I'm crying at work I'm laughing so hard. Almost peed my dress (not wearing pants today and apparently you weren't either yesterday) Shared the story with the office. They're laughing too. hahahaha Love you!
ReplyDelete--DeeDee