Thursday, September 16, 2010

Of course...

Ok, I haven't updated in a while because, well, life has been relatively boring lately. Not that I'm complaining. Like my boss always says, no news is good news. But, since it's only 1:30 and I've already finished everything I need to do at work, I thought I would share a story.

So, as per usual, I ended up having to make an impromptu run down to the courthouse this morning. Now, many of y'all may not know that there are several different courthouses in Little Rock. Besides my hoodlum friends who have to make appearances in courtrooms, I don't know why any of my friends would know this fact. But 'tis true. I've been to three of them so far. Today was my first trip to the Federal courthouse, which btw it's a beautiful building. I definitely recommend going if you are have absolutely nothing to during business hours during the week.

So this is where my story begins. Apparently I look threatening to all security people. I ALWAYS get strip-searched every time I have to go through any kind of security. The airport is the absolute worst. I have to allow at least an extra hour or two more than normal to get through security. Anyways, I digress. I walk up to security and they ask for my ID. I'm thinking they think I have some kind of official ID to get into the building. I told them I didn't have any and they told me I couldn't come in (...rude.). So of course, in a dramatic panic, I plead my case saying that I just HAD to come in because my boss needed these papers issued and she would be so mad if I couldn't come in, blah, blah, blah. So he goes, "I'm sorry ma'am, without a drivers license or photo ID I can't let you in." ...wait so all I need is a drivers license... So I tried to collect myself (and everything else I was carrying and wearing, again with the strip-search) and excused myself out to my car. I grabbed my ID and made my second attempt to enter the building, thoroughly embarrassed.

So I FINALLY get passed security (I mean, do I look threatening? Really?) and try to figure out where I'm supposed to go. I'm looking around and I see this older gentleman just casually pass right on through security. Amazed by his ease, I asked him how I could get whatever kind of pass he had to make that whole process easier. He smiled and said, "Oh, I've been here a while. They know I mean no harm." Feeling sorry for me, the man asked where I needed to go and offered to walk me there. As we're walking, he commented on my cowboy boots I was wearing. I said that they were new and that he should definitely get some. (Timeout: this man had to be upper 70's lower 80's. He had long white hair and GIANT glasses. The thought of him wearing cowboy boots made me laugh out loud. Timein) He said he had an outfit or two that would be perfect for them and asked where I got them. I said I got them online and that I would find him on facebook and send him the link. He thought this was hilarious. So we chatted more about the Razorbacks and facebook and the weather, etc. We finally find the office I need and he pointed at this giant painting that was hanging on the wall and said, "How 'bout that fella!" The painting was of the man who the ENTIRE courthouse was named after, which also happened to be this guys brother! Turns out, my knight in shining armor (this term is loosely used in this circumstance) was a Judge for the Court of Appeals! Like, he has senior status in the courthouse. Like he was appointed by George Bush Sr. and stuff like that. He's apparently a big deal!

Ok, so it was cool at first, but then I was retracing our conversation and I'm talking to an important figure in Arkansas about facebook? And cowboy boots? Awesome.

So, again, if any of my hoodlum friends ever find themselves in the Court of Appeals, make sure you try to get Judge Arnold because he's super nice. Oh, and wear cowboy boots! :)

1 comment: